How about we discuss things one chapter at a time, but on the same blog post? We can kick off a new post after some chapters if the discussion actually takes off.
The first six chapters and the dating techniques they introduce during their investigation (give me a shout if I miss something):
- Chapter 1: The ever-changing calendar the origins and complications of our calendar systems.
- Chapter 2. A hero in a dark age – reconstructing history, in the light of the search for King Arthur.
- Chapter 3. The forged cloth of Turin – radiocarbon dating.
- Chapter 4. The pyramids and the bear’s groin – star-gazing
- Chapter 5. The volcano that shook Europe – pottery (typology), tree-ring dating.
- Chapter 6. The Mandate from Heaven – dendrochronology (advanced tree-ring pattern dating) and some more ice core dating.
Can I suggest we use a consistent style for marking what we are responding to? Based on what we had in the past: @Hugo #14 for replying to Hugo and the 14th comment, when not responding to a comment, just the topic you’re starting a new thread on, e.g.: @Chapter1. This will encourage me to fix the imported old comment threads when I get around to implementing the threaded comment system I’m dreaming about. (No need to be too strict though, e.g. marking unneeded when replying directly to the comment above. Import will have to have human-oversight anyway.)