TTM Book Club: Starting with “Bones, Rocks and Stars” in Mid-July

June 12th, 2009 · Posted by Hugo · 14 Comments

Back in February, we sought an answer to the question Any interest in a “Book Club” of sorts? The answer at the time was “yes!”

By decree, we decided ;-) on Bones, Rocks and Stars by Chris Turney. I propose we start with this book on 13 July. Hopefully I’m not busy referring to myself in the plural.

It is a thin little book, 180 pages, but I’ll still carve it up into little bits: about 30 pages per blog post, which is two chapters, spread over six blog posts. What time frame this will be, I’m not sure. (Spread over six weeks?) It is my intention to write an intro blog post giving a brief overview of the contents of each section, then we can have discussions in the comments.

If I choose to write “independent” posts about the things we learned, I will do so after we’ve had our discussion. The purpose of such posts would be to have something to point other people to: future visitors of the blog that have not read the book. Such posts should provide a brief overview of the important bits to get people up to speed, but for more in-depth details, they would probably refer to either the book, or to our discussion, or to other useful material we identify. Rewriting the book would be silly. This “distillation into an overview” will certainly be a struggle, maybe our discussion can help hack out the important details.

13 July is a Monday. I’m open to shifting it to another day: would you prefer the end of the week? Publish on Friday mornings? We don’t need to rush the discussion… Whatever we decide in the comment thread below, the next post will be with the expectation that participants have read the introduction and the first two chapters: “The ever-changing calendar” and “A hero in a dark age”.

I’m taking two weeks’ vacation before then. The book will go with me, for the plane, the airport, or other idle moments. Thus, the “deadline” we choose really shouldn’t be making any whooshing sounds on my side…

Categories: Culture · Religion and Science · Technology · Website
Tags: · ·

• 1 Ben-Jammin' // Jun 12, 2009 at 10:30 pm

A little birdie told me I will get the book for Father’s Day. I don’t know if I can wait to July 13 to start it. :)

• 2 Hugo // Jun 13, 2009 at 12:28 am

Hmmm… I’m back home on Sunday night, 5 July. Depending on any other potential participants, I could aim for the evening of 6 July instead, or for later that week. Either way, if someone’s got a good enough memory, or takes notes, or whatever, it won’t really matter if they read it “too early”, methinks? I’ll probably be starting on 22 June myself, anyway!

• 3 Bad Ben // Jun 16, 2009 at 2:26 pm

I just need to get a hold of a copy…

Can anyone point me in a direction?

• 4 Hugo // Jun 17, 2009 at 2:24 am

Aw drats, kalahari only has hard-cover at an exorbitant price:

That’s what I like about Europe, books are so cheap! (Not necessarily because they’re actually cheaper, but because everything else is much more expensive.)

If you’d like to get it, I will buy it off you when you’re done! I’d like to have another copy, and I like hard cover. When we’re done reading, I’ll be contemplating lending this book to people anyway, if not buying more for presents. :-P

• 5 Cobus // Jun 19, 2009 at 11:34 am

Try loot

• 6 Cobus // Jun 19, 2009 at 11:36 am

Sorry, link didn’t make it
    Loot – Bones, Rocks and Stars for soft-cover copy, and better prices than Kalahari.

• 7 Ben-Jammin' // Jun 21, 2009 at 6:01 pm

Happy Father’s Day to me! I have the book.

• 8 Hugo // Jun 21, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Congrats! I begin reading tomorrow… Does that mean you start reading before me? ;-)

I’m also taking Susan Blackmore’s “The Meme Machine” with me, also small, and it bothers me that I’ve only read a couple of its chapters, and that more than a year ago, probably.

• 9 Ben-Jammin' // Jul 3, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Finished the book last week. Anyone else read any yet?

• 10 Hugo // Jul 3, 2009 at 6:16 pm

I’ve only read the first two chapters, made some silly little notes as I went. Contemplating reading through the rest without making notes, then taking another look when I blog about bits.

From your vantage point, what do you think about splitting it up to a post per chapter vs two chapters together? Quite moot I bet, except for concerns of structuring/dividing any discussion more neatly, and spamming general rss-feed subscribers with too many posts. ;-)

• 11 Hugo // Jul 5, 2009 at 11:44 pm

Ben’Jammin, it kinda seems it’s just you and I…

& I’m back from holiday, btw. FWIW.

• 12 Cobus // Jul 6, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Sorry guys, haven’t gotten around to it yet. But will read it, and will blog on it when I do. Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

• 13 Bad Ben // Jul 6, 2009 at 12:24 pm

I still don’ gots a copy. Anyone know where I can find one in the stellenbosch area (without buying…)

• 14 Hugo // Jul 7, 2009 at 12:19 am

Bad Ben, you can borrow my second copy. Which I’m about to order, probably from loot. What address can I have it delivered to?