Time to learn to cook…?

March 1st, 2008 · Posted by Hugo · 10 Comments

The last time I really did any real cooking, was in primary school, in “Food Technology” class. (This was in The British School in the Netherlands, a long long time ago.) As a student, I lived in a residence for most of my studies, where we were served three meals a day. One year in a flat was easy enough to survive on student centre food, toast, fish fingers and I&J’s “saucy secrets”. Oh, and the odd add-water-and-simmer “pasta and sauce”. I’d claim I never really had the opportunity to learn to cook. Of course, it is up to me to make the opportunity, but without much motivation, the barrier to entry is rather high.

So here I am, trying to motivate myself to start cooking. For myself. By myself. Tough? Maybe a good exercise of self discipline. In an ideal world, I’d maybe find some partners in crime: either get a little cooperative thing going, or otherwise just find some victims to come over for dinner, that should serve as decent enough motivation. However, I cannot exactly entice them with “free food”, when it costs a good home meal’s petrol to get here (for those living in Stellenbosch). I’m going to have to get good at the food thing, and quickly. Though, that’s probably easier than getting this place tidy: too much junk with nowhere to go. Bother.

I bet my oven is warm already. For the first time ever, probably. Gotta go…

Categories: Personal
Tags:

• 1 Hugo // Mar 1, 2008 at 9:09 pm

Hmm, now I must just figure out what I’m going to use to take out the hot tray.

• 2 Ben-Jammin' // Mar 1, 2008 at 10:17 pm

How did it come out?

• 3 -M- // Mar 1, 2008 at 10:42 pm

You can find some really good recipes on the Internet…I’ll rather go for websites than books now for “everyday’s” cuisine…and some people can be quite creative!

But what you need to become a good cook is patience… ;)

• 4 -M- // Mar 1, 2008 at 10:51 pm

Oh and what I did once is to invite friends, tell them what I was thinking of cooking (entire menu: starter, main meal and desert), and ask all of them to come with some of the ingredients…
    But I also had to show them how to prepare everything as it was French cuisine…;)

Long and exhausting evening but quite fun at the end…

Two years ago, we also had a dinner club. Basically, a group of 4 people, and every week, one of us had to prepare an entire menu for the others. Also quite fun!

• 5 Hugo // Mar 1, 2008 at 11:23 pm

Hehe, it was chicken breast schnitzels. Shove it in, eat it. Classic student food. However, now I’ve tried out the oven, I can start thinking about cooler stuff. I’m thinking I should try making lasagne. I think I’ve done this in the past, long, long ago.

The coolest thing is how much making some food (however arbitrary) and writing this blog post lifted my spirits.

Hmm, let me not bore you with more detail. Either way, I think I’ll find it useful to have this blog lose a bit of it’s exclusive focus. (Even as I was announcing a more exclusive focus.) It reflects too large a part of my psyche, and keeping it focused on an unhealthy topic is not going to be healthy for my psyche.

So that’s that then: I’m no longer going to try to hide the worldview differences I have with Shofarians. I’m not going to flaunt it either, but until now, I’ve tried to hide it, in an effort to try to reach more of them with the core of what I’d like to teach them. (Here that ironic twist: about Jesus.) They’re much less likely to listen to someone that has a… mmm… “universalist” outlook (also a misrepresentation of my views, but anyway), or something like that, than to someone they are able to assume thinks more like they do.

Well, we know it is unhealthy to suppress a part of yourself. I was prepared to do it for the greater good, but I feel I get shredded on my own blog if I’m not able to openly defend myself with my own viewpoints.

The first thing you’ve gotta learn about morality and ethics, is you cannot help everyone. Not even everyone that is open to being helped. I will try to play my part, and I hope other people will take up the slack. Oh, and here’s where Brian McLaren comes into it, Ben-Jammin’. He’s there, working the front lines. Even if you don’t agree with the guy, hope for the fundies lies with the likes of McLaren and Rob Bell. I realise how hard it is for you to have compassion or empathy with them, you may be right in many cases, but my own past experience with fundamentalism has made me humble about such matters. Empathy comes too easily for me, I’m unable to sit back and say it is their own fault. It is often not that simple. At least not in this country, in this town.

OK, I hope Ben-Jammin’ actually read that.

-M-, thanks, can you recommend some websites? I thought of stealing, um, borrowing, some of the books my mother has on her shelf. Patience would be easy enough, if it didn’t mean time. I have patience, but I don’t have time. Is that contradictory? Make time, or multi-task. I guess I should try having friends over while I’m actually preparing the meal. Step one: get over the last remnants of my hesitance to invite people over*.

*(This goes back deep and far, to a memetic source in my youth that I have been unable to unravel. Ah, the mysteries of the past. Unfortunately I cannot share details of the aspects of this hesitance on the internet, it is just a tad too private.)

• 6 Hugo // Mar 1, 2008 at 11:24 pm

*(Actually, I can reveal key aspects of it, but I still doubt it is of any interest to my readers.)

• 7 Ben-Jammin' // Mar 1, 2008 at 11:45 pm

Under naturalism, ‘fault’ gets squirrely. In any case, plenty of fundamentalists have gone all the way over to liberal naturalists, skeptics, and the like. Like that pretty cool skepchick post you linked to over on the right.

I put up that third post about the book, FWIW.

Your post about the stove made me think about natural gas, which made me think about peak oil and the North American natural gas outlook again. It gives me nightmares.

• 8 -M- // Mar 1, 2008 at 11:47 pm

Yes I can recommend some websites…but you’ll have to be able to read French! ;)
    I guess there should be some english websites as well…just never used them…for some reasons… :P

Cooking takes time if you want to make sophisticated meals….but you can also make really simple yet tasty things without spending hours in the kitchen…

• 9 Hugo // Mar 1, 2008 at 11:55 pm

Like that pretty cool skepchick

Yea, I heard about her. Do you know her story? Her support network? Her family situation? Hmm, I should probably take a look myself, or ask her some time. I think ex-fundie insights can be worth a lot.

• 10 Pienk Zuit // Mar 2, 2008 at 3:47 pm

Have a look at my latest post. SuperCook is one hell of a help in the website.