Sum Books Fer Mai Biffday!

December 30th, 2007 · Posted by Hugo · 8 Comments

As I mentioned in my previous post, it is time for me to read some more. I love my friends, and I know they love me, just look at the wonderful diversity of books I received!

Sum Books Fer Mai Biffday!

All of these came from friends that read my blog and comment sometimes. Does God Believe in Atheists is actually on loan, not for keeps. The notes added in that picture are my uninformed tongue-in-cheek satirical summary of my initial impression of the standpoints of the authors. Don’t take those notes too seriously. I have not yet read any books by any of these authors, though I have started on one of Rob Bell’s books and seen him “live” on multiple occasions.

Below the fold is the list of books and my comments, for those that cannot make out the photo above, and do not want to download a higher resolution version.

• Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion – Atheists say God does not exist
  • John Blanchard, Does God Believe in Atheists – God says atheists do not exist
  • Rob Bell, Sex God – Let’s define “God” as something that DOES exist, rather than something that DOES NOT
  • Paul Kurtz, Embracing the Power of Humanism – So what is this “Humanism” thing then?

Another book I received, that does not fall directly into the main book theme, is Steven Pressfield’s The War of Art. As I understand it, this book was given to me more for the purpose of critical evaluation than for direct personal enrichment. Hehe, I love my friends. (And I wish we had more words for different kinds of “love”. Like the Greeks do, for example.)

You might notice I recently had some fun tearing holes in pages from thesis drafts, then tackling them with spray paint. My flickr account has more photos of the fun I had.

Categories: Personal
Tags: · · · ·

• 1 Hugo // Dec 30, 2007 at 12:24 am

Hmm… “just look at the wonderful diversity of books I received!” – I’m serious. The general theme is not necessarily diverse, but that’s good: the general theme is right down my alley. The wonderful diversity is the diversity found within the theme. I still can’t decide where to start!

I’d like to tackle two opposites at more or less the same time, I was thinking of revisiting “The Cross and The Switchblade (et al)” in parallel with “The God Delusion”, though I’d want to eventually contrast the former with “Acid Alex”. It’s just that I believe there will be some interesting ideas coming out of a “The God Delusion” / “The Cross and The Switchblade (et al)” contrast.

• 2 Hugo // Dec 30, 2007 at 1:14 am

Oh, and the other presents were great too! Chocolate is always a winner, trust me. And I really appreciate wine, as I’m not yet culturally educated enough to make good wine selections myself. ;-)

And, last but not least, The Essential Miles Davis. Suh-weet!

(I’m not mentioning the prezzies from my immediate family here. ;) )

• 3 right said reverend // Dec 30, 2007 at 8:51 pm

Ek het Richard Dawkins gelees. Was vir my maar bla bla bla. Sy Selfish Gene is egter uitstaande. Hy skryf immers oor iets wat hy ken.

Sou graag Kurtz se boek wil lees.

• 4 right said reverend // Dec 30, 2007 at 8:52 pm

O ja, happy birthday

• 5 Hugo // Dec 31, 2007 at 2:08 am

Dankie! Die rede vir die Richard Dawkins boek: ek raak dinge kwyt oor Dawkins se standpunt, terwyl ek nie ten volle ingelig is wat dit werklik is nie. Die persoon wat dit vir my as geskenk gegee het (wel ‘n ateis), het dit ook nog nie self gelees nie, en wil bloot net he^ ek moet ingelig wees sodat ek meer ingeligte kritiek kan lewer.

Ek het twee bladsye van Hitchens se boek gelees, en toe besluit dat dit nie my tyd werd is nie (te veel ander dinge om te lees wat veel meer belangrik en nuttig is).

Verskoon maar die gebrekkige e^, ek is nie nou op my eie rekenaar nie.

• 6 Auke // Jan 1, 2008 at 1:00 am

right said reverend skryf oor Dawkins: “Hy skryf immers oor iets wat hy ken.”, in #3 hierbo.
    Ek was nogal onder die indruk dat Prof Dawkins ateisme taamlik goed ken.

• 7 Hugo // Jan 1, 2008 at 1:16 am

The point being his book was aimed at atheists, and is about atheism, eh? Those coming from a religious background expecting to get a book about religion ended up with a book about atheism instead? I must say, that kinda makes sense. So I shouldn’t dive into the book expecting it to really be about religion…

Anyway, as you’ve pointed out, the likely reason Dawkins wrote the book, was the witnessing of religious extremism causing wars and terror, and wondering “now why does it seem no-one is doing anything about it?” In such a context, it could be considered noble that he thought: “well, instead of admonishing other people about their lack of action, how about I try to make my contribution…”

I saw the beginning of a talk by him, at an AAI convention, where he opened with something along the lines of “well, at least it increased humanity’s consciousness somewhat”. I need to find that link again, I want to check that intro again and write some more comments about it.

• 8 Hugo // Jan 1, 2008 at 1:18 am

Oh, and I’m just a little bit concerned about causing a misunderstanding about Rob Bell’s book here. Hmm… oh well. I’ll try to fix the damage by writing more about it once I get around to reading it.