You Have Been Tricked

November 12th, 2007 · Posted by Hugo · 16 Comments

If you are someone that always said you would never be caught dead attending a church, or maybe you will only be caught in a church when you are dead, I’m afraid I’ve got bad news for you.

I hope you still feel welcome now that you know, because it’s great to have you here. I hope you enjoy your stay, and can find value here, from me on the pulpit, and from the rest of the congregation around you. I also hope you can be of value to those around you.

I have big plans for this church. Eventually everyone can have a pulpit, should they want one. We will also do church planting at other sites, in other domains. We will have events outside of the church, we will travel and attend other churches for cross-pollination, and to spread the good news.

So now you can tell your mother you’ve started going to church again.

Categories: Religion and Science · Website
Tags: · ·

• 1 Maud // Nov 12, 2007 at 7:10 pm

haha, nice one!
    But sneaky…rather sneaky!;)

• 2 George // Nov 12, 2007 at 7:46 pm

“This blog is nothing other than a church. And you, as you are reading it, are in attendance.”

You wish!

• 3 Steve // Nov 12, 2007 at 9:43 pm

Now, now, George.

Just ‘cos you aren’t willing to call circles round don’t make them square ;)

• 4 Johan Swarts // Nov 13, 2007 at 1:06 am

hugo, moenie na hierdie filistyne luister nie ;)

/me reik vir die kollektebordjie

• 5 Steve // Nov 13, 2007 at 9:08 am

/me gryp Johan se hand.

Daai bordjie is vir gee, nie neem nie ;)

• 6 Steve // Nov 13, 2007 at 10:14 am

So. Is this a church because you think it satisfies the commonly accepted definition of church, or are you just label-twisting again?

• 7 Hugo // Nov 13, 2007 at 10:18 am

This is a church because there’s a kollektebordjie. Isn’t that the defining characteristic of a church? ;)

This is a church because it satisfies my definition of church. If people feel I’m twisting labels, they they will hopefully learn that “church” isn’t always what they think it is, and I might just de-stigmatise a highly stigmatised concept?

• 8 Steve // Nov 13, 2007 at 12:36 pm

Roughly speaking then, what do you mean by church?

• 9 Hugo // Nov 13, 2007 at 1:45 pm

Roughly speaking (we can refine it later):
    A group of people walking the journey of life together. A community, in search of Truth together. A family, helping one another to live meaningful lives.

• 10 Steve // Nov 13, 2007 at 3:44 pm

OK, for these three concepts to mean roughly the same thing, it seems you’re implying that walking the journey of life roughly equates to searching for truth, which roughly equates to living a meaningful life.

Does this mean that, according to you, only some people are walking the journey of life? If so, what are the others doing?

If we’re all walking this journey, then by church, don’t you simply mean what most of us would use the words group, community or society for?

• 11 Hugo // Nov 13, 2007 at 5:56 pm

Hmmm… nice challenge. Let’s run with my earlier statements. How’s this?:

People who are not busy searching for truth and living meaningful lives, are already dead. The Search for Truth, that, is what I call being alive.

About your last question: I dunno, I suppose it could be, though… I know a church is a community. I don’t think all communities are churches though, no. You can deduce some of what my meaning of the word is, by how I use it. BTW, the inspiration for this post, was found in the process of writing a post that is going out on Friday or Saturday, I think. You’ll see where it came from, I’m sure. ;)

• 12 Hugo // Nov 13, 2007 at 5:58 pm

In fact, this post was written and published yesterday largely to prepare the way for the related paragraph on Friday/Saturday, otherwise that post may have too much material in it.

• 13 Steve // Nov 13, 2007 at 9:23 pm

So, we’re a community of people with inquiring minds. I doubt any of your readers ever said they’d never be caught dead _there_ ;)

So, next question. What do you mean by pulpit? Something like the conch in Lord of the Flies?

• 14 Hugo // Nov 13, 2007 at 9:36 pm

Ooh, I have yet to read the Lord of the Flies… when will I get around to that? In December, I will probably tackle The God Delusion first, in parallel to taking another look at The Cross and the Switchblade, one of the books that messed with my head when I was young. Following that, I’ll probably tackle Marcus Borg’s Reading the Bible Again for the First Time, starting from the beginning for a second time. I have another plan up my sleeve, that I will only reveal when I actually carry it out. And I will be working on mengelmoes, hopefully.

The entrance to thinktoomuch.net’s pulpit is currently found at http://thinktoomuch.net/wp-admin/post-new.php – at the moment, I’m the only one with access. (I hope…)

• 15 Steve // Nov 13, 2007 at 10:28 pm

Well, I have Lord of the Flies, if you ever want to read it.

• 16 Erwin McManus on Eating Meat on the Streets of Athens // Feb 9, 2008 at 10:38 am

[…] only realised it was a “church” after three weeks. (This was the inspiration for the You Have Been Tricked post.) And then he took his first steps into following […]