A Translation Service?

October 29th, 2007 · Posted by Who Knows? · 13 Comments

Hi! My name is Hugo. I am completely fluent in the following languages: English, Afrikaans, Christianspeak, Atheist, and Whale. I can understand and read Dutch quite easily. Next year I hope to learn some French and some Muslim. (Eventually, some Judaism, Buddhism, Confucianism, German and Taoism will come in handy.)

For the time being, I’m providing a free translation service on this website. Feel free to use it. However, my time is limited, so it may take some time before I get to your request.

Best wishes, God bless, Shalom,
Hugo

Tags: · · ·

• 1 Steve // Oct 29, 2007 at 2:49 pm

*seemingly random high-pitched noises*

• 2 Hugo // Oct 29, 2007 at 9:24 pm

Hehe.

Hmm, it seems I’m riding somewhat of a roller-coaster. Maybe I’m just tired, maybe I’m just stressed. Maybe I just burst my own bubble to realise things are not going to be as simple as I dreamed they would be. We’ll see… I’ve been rather impulsive lately, it was refreshing. I think the impulses do tell me something, do show me some direction to head in. I should at least explore those directions, even if I don’t finally commit.

• 3 Hugo // Oct 30, 2007 at 10:27 am

Steve, translation:

Can’t do it, sorry… what you have there, is a whale (which speaks in low-pitched noises), listening to a human make what seems to the whale to be high-pitched noises.

To understand human, you’ve first gotta become human. You can’t stay whale when listening to human. And vice versa: become a whale to speak whale… ;)

• 4 Johan Swarts // Oct 30, 2007 at 11:43 am

Nah, as ‘n walvis ooit regtig ‘n lae vlak van semantiek bereik, sal mense dit kan verstaan na deeglike analise. Taal, al is dit totaal en al organies, het die nasty gewoonte om gestruktureerd te wees. Al wat ons moet doen is om die walvisse se gedrag en hulle taal (imagine ‘n paralinguistiese studie van ‘n walvis?) te analiseer tot ons ‘n taal het.

Die ironie van die saak is probably dat ons hulle taal beter as hulle gaan kan praat :p

• 5 Johan Swarts // Oct 30, 2007 at 11:44 am

Imagine whale poetry

• 6 Hugo // Oct 30, 2007 at 11:48 am

That would be beautiful!

• 7 Hugo // Oct 30, 2007 at 11:52 am

Hmm… I would like to argue (because I’m stubborn):

We’d do a study, our computers would eventually understand the language, but the process of learning it yourself and using it yourself, that process, I call “becoming a whale”. Walking the streets of Athens.

How did Dory communicate with the whale? By becoming a whale: having a big, slow speaking voice… :-D

Hmm…

• 8 Rene // Oct 30, 2007 at 2:33 pm

Hugo, kan ek vir jou ‘n skroewedraaier stuur? Jy het ‘n paar ernstige skroewe los iewers!! Lol

• 9 Hugo // Oct 30, 2007 at 2:48 pm

;-) Nee wat, dankie. Dit het my dan 25 jaar gevat om daardie skroewe, wat hopeloos te styf vas gedraai was, los te kry!

• 10 Rinus // Oct 30, 2007 at 4:55 pm

Jy weet ‘n mens kan skroewedraaiers gebruik om skroewe losser te draai ook! ;)

• 11 Steve // Oct 30, 2007 at 4:56 pm

Pas op, Rinus, binnekort val Hugo dalk uitmekaar ;)

• 12 Johan Swarts // Oct 31, 2007 at 2:02 am

en dan’s daar altyd whalesuits…

• 13 Erwin McManus on Eating Meat on the Streets of Athens // Feb 8, 2008 at 10:40 am

[...] have been talking about “Walking the Streets of Athens” in a number of places. This idea applies to anyone wanting to make a difference in other people’s lives. You [...]