Request for Feedback: Shared Items, MiniBlog, Facelift!

September 22nd, 2007 · Posted by Who Knows? · 6 Comments

How many people find my Google Reader Shared Items useful? Would you like me to share more, or less? And what about the balance between humour and serious stuff? Answers to these questions will provide me with some guidance, however, in the end, I naturally share what I want to share. These items appear on my Facebook profile as well. I feel quite happy with my current balance of sharing, and will continue sharing as I see fit. (Some feedback will sway me a little though.)

A new related development, is more attention being given to my del.icio.us bookmarks. The side-bar now has a “MiniBlog”, as inspired by the Bad Science blog. Thanks Ben! One advantage of making this move, is the potential of splitting the items into multiple feeds. If I do that, there might be one for Humour, one for Religion related items, and one for the rest, for example. The Google Reader Shared Items will probably remain, they can be considered “highlights according to Hugo”.

A number of other developments are in the pipeline first though: this blog is getting a new theme soon. I need a three-column layout, the side-bar is getting too long. Also, the categories will eventually be re-evaluated. Until now, I have used them more in the manner of “tags”. I am considering reducing the categories significantly, using them more in the manner of “multiple merged blogs”. Featured more prominently, they will then allow people to only follow the categories that are of interest to them, hopefully giving me more (subjective) freedom to blog about tech and personal stuff, no longer feeling as concerned about diluting of the main subject matter. (I will also consider running more than one blog, if that seems best.)

While only time will tell what the future holds, now is your chance to drop your two cents!

Categories: Website
Tags:

• 1 Steve // Sep 22, 2007 at 6:31 pm

New look doubleplusgood.

New WordPress (2.3) comes out tomorrow, I think – and it’s got tag support. Not very well developed unfortunately, the reviews say. The idea, it seems, is to put the basic functionality in, and see what people do with plugins that is popular. Point being, perhaps not worth putting too much effort into categories vs tags until you’ve upgraded and taken a look.

Google reader shares and delicious: perhaps after thesis time has passed, I’ll follow them, but at the moment I don’t follow them unless something catches my eye, or you mail me a link.

I like the miniblog idea, perhaps I should go with it. Does it pull stuff from your delicious posts, along with a description field? And if it’s a plugin, throw me a link, pls ;)

• 2 Hugo // Sep 22, 2007 at 7:16 pm

The “miniblog” is basically my delicious feed, implemented by a bit of javascript provided by delicious. See the del.icio.us/help/linkrolls link.

I have shortened my categories list by removing four categories. That will have to do for now. It remains a work-in-progress, further attention to be given when my thesis is finished.

With my Google Reader Shared Items, my policy will be to aim for maximum three shares per day, ideally an average of less than ten per week. Basically stuff that I wish everyone would read, while the MiniBlog is stuff that might be of interest to whoever just can’t get enough…

• 3 Hugo // Sep 23, 2007 at 10:00 am

I see the MiniBlog caches locally. I wonder how long… A shift-reload does update it.

• 4 Hugo // Sep 23, 2007 at 6:43 pm

And then, of course, my header images aren’t very South African… (They’re Austrian, by the way.)

I also think I should probably enlarge the comment box, it’s probably a bit too small.

• 5 gloep // Sep 24, 2007 at 10:16 pm

Ek neem aan daar’s nie eintlik plek vir comments op “miniblogs” nie… Oh well, dis seker nie die punt daarvan nie.

Noudat die facelift gedoen is, wag ek in spanning vir Botox of so ‘n bietjie “rhinoplasty”… ;)

• 6 Hugo // Sep 24, 2007 at 10:24 pm

Hmm… ja, ek wens mens kon comment op die miniblog. Sommige mense stel del.icio.us op om daaglikse blog posts te maak, in plaas van so ‘n mini-blog. Dis minder mooi, minder elegant, maar dan kan mens wel soos gewoonlik comment. Die ander opsie is om maar ‘n “post” te maak wat dien as ‘n “miniblog-besprekings-area”.

Enige spesifieke ding wat jy op wou comment?

Die volgende stukkie “cosmetic surgery” sal gebeur wanneer ek ‘n vry man is, dan sal die “winter tema” met ‘n “somer, Suid Afrikaanse” tema vervang word, of so iets… (net die “header images” gaan vervang word.)