South Africans Love Bullshit

June 25th, 2007 · Posted by Who Knows? · 7 Comments

Wheee, I have “bullshit” in my post title! Fun.

I mentioned this particular incarnation of bullshit before, it goes by the name “Heaven Is So Real” by “Choo Thomas”. (I often laugh from slight discomfort when reading old blog posts, hehe. Amazing how things change in such a short time.)

I thought I’d share the sad state of affairs, after discovering a post on Salige Rus: it’s apparently sold more than 80,000 copies in this country, according to “Rapport”, an Afrikaans newspaper that doesn’t seem to be particularly respected. (I can understand why. Uh, “naughty stewardesses” in the header? Ouch.) It completely outsold any other book in the market for “theological books in Afrikaans”. Stats like these do have you wonder if the anti-theists might not have a point, the “moderate” believers really seem to be a minority, the stereotyping is frighteningly accurate.

And then the cute little claim some people make: you can’t criticize the book: since it comes “straight from God”, that would be tantamount to blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, the “only unforgivable sin” or something. Ah, so by criticizing the book I can guarantee I wouldn’t have to “spend eternity” in the scary place Choo Thomas describes. Great!

Many of these links lead to Afrikaans. Sorry to the English readers, but the main aim is to try and save a couple of Afrikaans readers from eating that bullshit. Eating bullshit makes you ill. Take a look at the discussion I linked to last time if you want more info (again an Afrikaans link). Finding good English material about it on the web is of course far from trivial. The sensible person just ignores the existence of such nonsense, I suggest you do the same.

I’m not being very tolerant, am I? Sorry, but it is utter madness.

Tags:

• 1 Zach // Jun 25, 2007 at 4:29 pm

Have you watched Choo Thomas on youtube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu0Tkp8MFJw
    Watch how she rocks back and forth…

• 2 Hugo // Jun 25, 2007 at 5:23 pm

I watched the first 2 minues. Thanks.

Trying to say more is hard. What do you say? So often in cases like these you find it hard to decide whether it is satire or serious. This is intended seriously though, of course.

Adding a poll to this blog is an interesting idea:

“Do you think:
    a) Choo Thomas is a charlatan (fraud, making it all up), and she knows it
    b) Choo Thomas is deluded, she really believes she was in heaven and hell
    c) *cringe* Choo Thomas really was in heaven and hell, and as such, must obviously be the best authority on earth, obviously better than the Bible (which she does contradict, according to Biblical-inerrantists etc.)
    d) She had a dream, which was metaphorically “correct”, and people are just taking it way too seriously
    e) It’s all a big joke, and everyone will laugh together in a few years’ time?

Naah, (e) won’t happen. People will move on and forget about this book, I guess? Bush will become a “historical president”, etc etc. I’m hoping this will lead the people that so blindly believed Choo’s claims to open their eyes. Brian McLaren writes (paraphrased/misquoted) “Show me a Christian that has lost his faith, and 9 times out of 10 I’ll show you a community of ‘bad faith’ practitioners nearby”. This is too true, this kind of nonsense might be the best encouragement towards atheism that exists.

Viva “Christian” infighting. sigh

• 3 Hugo // Jun 25, 2007 at 5:34 pm

Hmm, right… moving on, let’s not waste time with bullshit. (Why did I have to post about this a second time, anyway? Hmm, because I am frustrated by the fact that I have friends, and extended family members maybe, that might read it, or have already read it for all I know.)

Though, otoh, wasting time with bullshit can be rather fun as well. It’s just another form of entertainment, eh?

• 4 Hugo // Jun 26, 2007 at 10:00 pm

A nice overview of a number of people that have spent some time visiting heaven and hell. It’s the new tourist industry… somehow it made me think of the restaurant at the end of the universe for some random reason:

fun fun fun. The reason Choo Thomas is featuring on my blog and in my life? Probably because it was translated into Afrikaans, and thereby achieved some fame amongst my compatriots.

• 5 viva Choo // Feb 15, 2008 at 7:59 am

The language u are using good people. U sound like reas devil worshippers.

Even is Choo Thomas is lying it is fine!!! I’m still going to read the book and encourage whoever I come across with to read the book.

This is all jealous because this book is selling.

• 6 Hugo // Feb 15, 2008 at 10:08 am

Hehe, now here’s a blast from the past. An old blog post… hehe. Back in the day when my frustration levels were at maximum.

I have friends that say they care less about this life now that they’ve read this book. Looking forward to the next… In the context of not being in such a “rush” to see as much as possible, maybe that’s a positive effect. I dunno. But if it turns people into Essenes, I’m worried.

And then there’s the choice of what to spend money on. If the likes of Borg&Crossan sold as well as Dawkins (internationally) and Choo Thomas (in South Africa), we’d really be getting somewhere.

• 7 D // May 24, 2009 at 6:59 pm

I have only listened to the cd, and find it hard to believe how she would only include the sinners prayer, as this is not the scriptural foundation for salvation. Very skeptical though, as she reminds me of a Katherine Kulhman of whom Benny Hinn visits her grave and still feels annointing come from it. Not possible for her body to shake uncontrollably, as the *spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophet*