Mouse Trouble

May 25th, 2007 · Posted by Who Knows? · 10 Comments

Another of the things that keep me awake at night (lately I’ve been tired enough, but anyway) is the sounds of mice (or rats?) going crazy on my ceiling, chewing things, tearing things (insulation)… I need to get rid of them.

I don’t mind killing (as difficult as it sometimes is, death is a fact of life), but I would prefer to be less evil than our two cats. Whoever said only humans are evil, haven’t watched a cat play with a mouse. (Sure, maybe the only reason humans are accused of “evil” is because they are capable of rational thought, critical thinking… what about humans incapable of critical thinking? Is it possible to blame them of evil, at all? I’d claim the cause of their lack of critical thinking might be labelled “evil”. ;) )

What I currently have available, is a really potent quick-killing poison. (Handle it with rubber gloves poison, burn the box when you’re done poison.) I might have tried it already, but one force in favour for the more humane treatment of mice/rats, in my case, is “what if I can’t find the corpse once it has died?” I have to burn the corpses, apparently. (You don’t want anything further up the food chain eating a poisoned mouse/rat, obviously.) If only I could figure out how they get into the ceiling…

So, if anyone of you have some experience with good mouse traps (here in South Africa), drop me a note?

Categories: Personal
Tags:

• 1 Wendy // May 26, 2007 at 12:38 am

Yikes! I’m SO glad that I don’t have a mouse problem. It’s not the mice themselves that bug me…it would be all the noises like you’d mentioned…the chewing, running, etc.

• 2 Hugo // May 26, 2007 at 10:38 am

The running is too cute though! If a sound can be cute that is. Super short legs, means a “whirr” of feet (definitely not a pitter-patter).

• 3 thinktoomuch.net » Blog Archive » The Low Info Diet // May 28, 2007 at 9:16 pm

[…] life’s work, by applying this to each and every thing it seems useful for. Dealing with the rats on my ceiling, for example. I have a headache, I had a very bad night’s rest. Yes, I am procrastinating, I […]

• 4 Hugo // Nov 1, 2007 at 10:06 pm

I still hear mice on the ceiling every now and then. What I will try next: I came across an idea while I was reading up on squirrels. Collect cat hair (from our cats), and spread that on the ceiling. The mice will then think the ceiling is frequented by cats, and rather avoid it.

Sounds like a plan. I’m allergic to cats though. My mother has been collecting cat hair for a while, for this exact purpose. I’ll get it from her as soon as my ankle is good enough to go clambering about the ceiling again.

• 5 Benji // Dec 17, 2008 at 12:47 pm

I have found a few great methods; one store bought , then other hommemeade:

Try it

• 6 Hugo // Dec 27, 2008 at 2:27 pm

Thanks! Sleeping at the cottage on the 23rd, I noticed the mice are still there. But I’m not, to take care of them. And it’s a farm, so others will likely discover it eventually: the hole should be found and plugged, and the current inhabitants moved outside (to avoid starvation and rotting in the attic).

• 7 Hugo // Dec 27, 2008 at 2:34 pm

(Maybe my family can take care of them.)

• 8 Bavani // May 6, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Have you heard of Plug-in Pest Free? The device is a small box that plugs into the wall socket, it modulates a 50HZ electromagnetic signal that pulsates through the wiring of the building, it literally drives out rats, mice and roaches, never to return again. The signal does not affect appliances, pets or people. It employs no chemicals and requires no maintenance, no cleaning up of dead pests afterwards and does not create any odour or fumes. It has been SABS tested as well as HACCP certified for safe use in the food industry and has a lifespan of up to ten years and carries a two year warranty.
    It really does work – we used it in our office in Gardens as there’s quite a few cockroaches and rats around, at first we had a bit of activity but after a few weeks there was no sign of them – and this was last year November. You can get more information on 0861 001 063.

• 9 Bavani // May 6, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Oh and it definitely won’t affect your allergies – so no need to leave cat hair lying around! :)

• 10 Hugo // May 6, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Um, 50Hz? Really? The entire electric grid is running at 50Hz, all your electric circuits already have electric fields oscillating at 50Hz. The claimed mechanism by which it works is rather vague though, “it modulates a 50HZ electromagnetic signal that pulsates through the wiring of the building” – what kind of modulation? Meaning some signal modulated to a 50Hz carrier frequency, or something of a 50Hz signal modulated to some other carrier frequency?