Nomic Game

January 29th, 2007 · Posted by Hugo · 6 Comments

Steve writes (in an email):

Some of you may know Nomic, others probably not.

For those who don’t, in short it’s a game about changing the rules so that you can win. A longer explanation is at:

So, I’m hoping to start Stellenomic, a game of Nomic primarily aimed at old and current Stellenbosch students, but feel free to invite anyone else who may be interested.
The game should hopefully kick off on 5 Feb, but you can also join later.

Since every player usually needs to vote on each rule change, running these things by e-mail can be quite time-consuming, and irritating on your inbox. Instead, I have decided to run it on my wiki. The page for the game is at:

If you are playing in the game, it would be ideal if you could visit that site at least 4 days a week to see the new rules proposals, and to make your votes. Also, as you may see, you are welcome to quit (or join) the game at any time.

Note that to play, you really need to read the initial rules on the site.

I am currently still somewhat undecided. I really want to play, but am concerned about how much time/energy it will consume. Then again, it ought to be minimal, and I can always quit when I see it’s getting too time-intensive. (I very strongly believe I’ve made enough progress on self discipline that I would indeed be able to quit.)

Categories: Personal
Tags:

• 1 Steve // Jan 29, 2007 at 3:13 pm

Don’t worry – if you need to work, we’ll make a rule saying you can’t play anymore :P

• 2 Hugo // Jan 29, 2007 at 4:04 pm

Hmm… suggesting a rule that says you may not quit the game (or other similarly themed changes to rule 113), it would typically become too dangerous to continue – you should rather quit than vote. (If the vote passes, you may no longer quit.) I guess if you’re quick enough, you could quit after voting yourself, but before the last person votes, if you see the vote is going to pass…

• 3 Zach // Jan 29, 2007 at 6:46 pm

• 4 Steve // Jan 30, 2007 at 9:49 am

Or you can just quit. What are they going to do to you, you’re not in the game anymore. It would be very bad etiquette to quit if it’s against the rules though – one should at least try to get the rule changed back. On another note, though, it would almost never be in most people’s interest to ban quitting, since it reduces competition.

• 5 Hugo // Jan 30, 2007 at 10:18 am

I was pondering rules like “death penalty for apostates” and “suicide bombers win”. But luckily I don’t think the group of people that will be playing this game are as “rule-abiding” as that. ;)

• 6 Hugo // Jan 30, 2007 at 10:21 am

(Since Nomic can technically become any other game, we could turn it into a religion, with the mission to “convert” – bring new people into the “game”/religion… Would be interesting to see if we can manage to pull off what Hitler succeeded in doing: managing all of it “democratically”.)